Friday, March 12, 2010

Disney Princess Half Marathon RECAP!!

OMGoodness!  Hey guys!!!  I know it’s been, um, awhile but if it makes you feel any better I totally intended to blog while I was on vacation.  BUT, as luck would have it, the wifi we were supposed to have at the house we stayed at was not working or something and so my laptop didn’t even leave it’s bag after the first frustrating evening.  But honestly, I don’t know if I would have had the time or the energy to blog anyway;-)

I have SOOOOOO MUCH to talk about that it’s hard to know which to talk about first!  In order to avoid a mile-long post, I am going to break my trip and pictures into different posts.  Saves all our sanity that way *wink wink* 

You’re welcome.

March2010 226RACE MORNING----> TOTALLY EXCITED!!!!!!  And totally FREEZING!!!  I had no idea how cold it had been in Florida, obviously, because I tossed my UnderArmour out of the suitcase as I was packing it.  I mean, who needs ColdGear in Florida?!  But after heading to the Nike outlet to buy a hooded sweatshirt, I was fine.

March2010 225March2010 228The kids were up and ready to go!  Well, kinda…  Zachary, bless his heart, was up for his Mama, tired eyes and all.March2010 232     Katie is NOT, let me repeat NOT, a morning person at all, as you can see by this photo.  And Tyler managed to avoid the camera’s eye altogether. March2010 231

Breakfast of champions [running champions, that is]: a banana and peanut butter sandwich.March2010 230

We got to the Epcot parking lot around 345am.  In order to beat the traffic and all the road closures, the race officials recommended that everybody who was driving in for the race be on Disney property no later than 4-430am.  It was so cold out so we parked our car and I waited until 445am before I had Jack walk me to the tent leading to the start area.  March2010 234 March2010 235March2010 236

After a wait for a portapotty, with 14,000 other princesses (yes, it was as crazy as you can imagine!), I headed to the start line which was a good 20 minute walk from the parking lot.  It was so cold out that people were huddling around the giant floodlights that were lining the walking path because they were blowing out warm air along the sides. 

I got to the corrals, where I went directly to my corral, E.  It was also the LAST corral which abled me to take THIS awesome pic:

March2010 044 FINALLY at 600am, the fireworks went off signaling the first corral to start…corrals were then started every 7 minutes so I started at 628am.  It felt SO GOOD to get moving.  But it was difficult to move for quite a while.  Imagine running with 14,000 other runners and walkers, everybody with a different pace and fitness level…I felt myself getting frustrated at first because I couldn’t move.  But after a little bit things started to open up and I figured out that I could run in the grass and off to the sides in order to avoid some of the people.

Here are my mile splits:

MILE 1: 10:54

MILE 2: 9:49

MILE 3: 9:00

MILE 4: 8:36

MILE 5: 9:18

MILE 6: 8:38

MILE 7: 9:14

MILE 8: 9:18

MILE 9: 8:54

MILE 10: 9:00

MILE 11: 8:56

MILE 12: 9:59

MILE 13: 9:51

MILE .34: 2:54

TOTAL MILES: 13.34

GARMIN TIME: 2:04:29

CHIP TIME: 2:07:41 <----I had to stop and pee at mile 7.5 so I paused my watch;-)March2010 177

I finished 1,659th of the total, and 321st in my division (women 30-34).  I could not be happier with my results!  It was the most fun race to run and I was stoked the whole time.  Running through Epcot, Magic Kingdom, and countless outer roads around Disney there is never a shortage of things to look at and think about.  I remember in the second half of the race being a little sad that it was almost over because I loved it so much.  It was an experience I wouldn’t trade for anything.March2010 188

I am so thankful for my wonderful hubby, kids, and parents for getting up before the butt-crack of dawn to come and support me.  They were such troopers and it meant the world to me that they were there.  It was also such motivation to know that they would be waiting at the finish line for me. 

I am thankful that God has given me the strength, desire, and ability to run.  I pray before each run that He will guide and direct my path, keep me safe, and be my pace and my breath.  He has never failed me;-)   March2010 248March2010 247March2010 187March2010 245March2010 191   

“Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.

Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.”

1 Corinthians 9:24-27 

xoxo

3 comments:

easternskywatch said...

i've been anxiously awaiting news of how you did................way to go erica........congrats.....you are an inspiration to us all, love, M

The Triathlon Rx said...

8:36 - woooot!! look at you! i loved seeing all the pictures of katie and the princess tour, and of course your race recap!

so glad that you could use that passage :) my cousin has it on the inside of his hockey helmet, and i'm might put it on my RoadID!

Sarah @ See Sarah Eat said...

What an awesome race Erica! I love how you were in corral "E" and that your bib number said Princess Erica. Looks like so much fun :)

You are amazing and God is so great!!

Survivor Spotlight Saturday

Hello!! Is it absolutely beautiful where you are this morning?!  Holy cow, if not you should high-tail it to southeast Missouri, ‘cause it...